Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: [OT] Gateway Monitor Repair SOMEONE WANTED A MOBO!

Re: A47 info (was RE: Accessing home server via NTL Broadband)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: A47 info (was RE: Accessing home server via NTL Broadband)
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:46:44 -0000

Hi Graham,

Very interesting...see my comments...

By far the most environmentally damaging scheme would be dualling of
the A47 Acle Straight across the Broads area. Upgrading of other
parts of the A47 would increase pressure to dual this most sensitive
part of the corridor.

[KEITH] So they will ignore other sections as well so they dont have
to do the Acle Straight [END]

Environmental impact
Between Acle and Great Yarmouth, the A47 crosses the Halvergate
Marshes that lie at the heart of the flat, open landscape of the
Norfolk Broads, an environmentally sensitive area with National Park
status.

[KEITH] Great Yarmouth - a socially and economically deprived area
due to lack of decent roads. [END]

Rare species of water plants and snail inhabit the water-filled dykes.

[KEITH] One of the few roads where cause of death from traffic
accidents is DROWNING due to cars ending up in the water filled dykes
and being unable to open the doors. A local well respected Naturalist
spoke at a meeting recently stating that in 30 years of visiting the
marshes he had never seen many of the species mentioned in the
report! [END]

There would be major visual intrusion as the marshland landscape is
open with little tree cover.

[KEITH] There are miles of open landscape either side of the existing
road. The visual intrusion of boarded up buildings in the town is
IMHO much worse. [END]

Pollution run-off into the adjoining dykes would be a concern, as
would the increased threat from road deaths to otters that feed in
the dykes.

[KEITH] The new road would only be 2-3 times as wide. Pollution would
not increase, infact it would probably decrease due to less cars in
the dykes. What about the DECREASED threat of death to HUMANS due to
a safe road. The road is 9 miles long and is completely straight
apart from 1 bend. This means people try to overtake and either hit
each other head on at >120mph or end up in a ditch. The open
landscape gives no reference points to be able to judge distance or
speed.

I just cant believe the decicion making capabilities of some
government departments :-(

Keith

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Graham P. Howe" <graham@s...> wrote:
> Keith, you might be interested in this that I am doing for a client.
> Note I do the design and build, I am not responsible for the content
> ;-).

http://195.102.0.130/Transport2000/library/RoadstoRuin/section_07.htm#
03