RE: Spot BT Master Socket?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Spot BT Master Socket?
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 23:49:08 -0000

If you have a "new" style socket it is quite simple since it has
a removable
faceplate for access to a set of terminals allowing you to run your own
extnesions without opening the master socket itself.

If you had an earlier socket or the early conversion from the original hard
wired things, it should be the first socket after the hardwiring point
(which for some reason BT seem to leave in place although on mine they did
eventually upgrade the "hardwired" connection.)

If not then IME, the cable entry point for the house will have the master
socket as the first socket on the cable. Easier to spot for overhead cables
but in newer houses where it comes in from the floor, it depends how many
other sockets might appear to do the same.

In my house I have concrete floors so only one box has this setup, however,
the wire coming into the house had extra wires not connected to the master
socket. They were at one point wired up for a second line before home
highway was installed, so extra wires around a box are an indication of the
cable entry point.

If on an estate or development with similar houses and a neighbour has no
extensions, the location of their single box will usually be the location
of
your master socket.

If a socket seems to be wired around doors or window frames, it is unlikely
to be a master socket. IME, BT seem to try and get the master socket as
close as possible to the point of entry of the cable to the house. BT do
not
seem to hide cables that have to run from a point of entry to a socket
other
than along the top of skirting boards. DIY people tend to find door and
window frames a "useful" place to "hide" their
extension cabling.

Finally, and the sure fire way, is to open the socket and look at the
circuitry. Generally the master socket has additional components to perform
the local ring. Extension sockets do not need this circuitry so tend not to
have it and be cheaper to buy. However, it is illegal
to open the master socket since it is considered part of BT's network and
not your own property. Why they did not use some form of anti tamper
mechanism (such as the seals on consumer units or anti tamper screws etc) I
do not know, but since they don't, unless you break something, they are
unlikely to discover you have opened the master socket.

This does not constitue legal advice and I disclaim all warranties, express
and implied, in the event you are caught with a screwdriver in your master
socket :)

Hope something in there helps, otherwise Keith is our resident expert on BT
and might have some other trick to locate the box.

Mark.