RE: ePOD not dead

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ePOD not dead
  • From: "Graham P. Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 20:22:48 -0000

The actual design (in my head at the moment) for the wall mounted ePODs
is to have them pointing to an ASP generated page on the intranet that
has a refresh of a few minutes. The page will consist of a single image
(though I may also have a JavaScript based clock on it) which will in
fact be a hyperlink. Each time the page refreshes, it will bring up a
different image, but the link behind it will remain the same. Tapping
anywhere on the image will jump to a page which will have all the
controls for the room that the ePOD is in.

There will be a cookie on the ePOD indicating which room it is in so
that if I move an ePOD it will just be a question of changing that one
file. The page giving local control will also have links to control
devices in other rooms, though these may be set to require PIN access. I
intend to use on screen buttons to allow entry of a PIN code rather than
traditional passwords, because it is easier to use these than to bring
up the on screen keyboard. All pages on the site will be set to refresh
back to the initial picture page (wiping any PIN number in the process)
after a couple of minutes but there will also be a 'logout' button that
allows this to happen instantly.

The idea is to initially have the screens very basic in layout to see if
they can run at an acceptable speed on the ePOD browser, if this is not
possible then I will have to use terminal services. At night time the
ASP code building the initial image page will set the refresh to a
longer time and may use darker images or even just black background so
that the screen is not so intrusive. The only slightly annoying drawback
in this approach is the inability of the ePOD to run the browser in
kiosk mode (no tool bars and window frame) so even with a completely
black background there will still be some stuff visible on the screen.

If anyone has any other suggestions then let me know, as this is all in
the planning stage I can make changes easily ;-)

Graham