RE: [KAT5] Component and Audio using KAT5.

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] Component and Audio using KAT5.
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:26:46 -0000

Hi Peter,

> Just out of interest, are there pros and cons between RGB with
> YUV?  I realise in most circumstances that you don't have a choice,
> but if you did, which should you choose?  Why do you get component
> hidef but not RGB hidef?

RGB is the RAW signals that actually drive the display so theoretically
should be the best option but I believe that DVD actually stores the
information as YUV so some say it gives a better picture but it depends on
whether the YUV to RGB separation process in the TV is better than the one
in the DVD player.

As to Hi-Def ???

There is no reason why an RGB signal shouldnt be Hi-Def provided the
display
can handle the refresh rates and progressive scan. Hi-Def is available via
VGA on some devices which is RGBHV.

As I understand it, the reason Component Video was introduced was to give
the american market better quality pictures than they got from Composite or
S-video. We already had higher quality inputs in the form of RGB via the
SCART.

Whilst many people moan about SCART the basic idea behind it was sound. the
only real flaws are

1. the poor physical design of the connector but provided you dont use
massive inflexible cables that put strain on it then it is generally OK if
undisturbed.

2. the fact that the same socket is used for In and Out but only at
Composite Level. S-video or RGB can only ever be unidirectional. Would have
been perfect if the connector had been a D-Type as used for PC connections
and separate Male and Female connectors for in and out.

3. no ability to force a SCART into S-Video mode using the switching
signals
(but then the spec was originally drafted without s-Video and Widescreen
functionality). Widescreen was added by making Pin 8 three state instead of
two. the same could have been done for Pin 16 to give an S-video signal.

> >remaining "spare" video channel can be used for carrying
SPDIF digital
> >audio, or if the 75ohm termination is switched OFF you can use the
spare
> >channel to carry a MONO analogue audio signal.
>
> Is that a user operation or return to base job?

On Mk 1 units which you have, it involves removing a resistor mounted on
the
rear of the phono socket either by snipping the wire or unsoldering it.

On Mk2 units it is just a flick of a switch.

Regards

Keith

Searchable KAT5 archive can be found at
http://www.ukha-archive.com/