Re: [KAT5] Sky HiDef

  • Subject: Re: [KAT5] Sky HiDef
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 05:50:22 -0000

Hi Peter

>=20
> >DVI/HDMI presents a number of problems as I dont have any HDMI=20
kit and
> >although I have a DVI TFT for the PC, all my PC's still have=20
analogue VGA
> >outputs. HDCP would be the biggest stumbling block as I would=20
imagine there
> >are all sorts of expensive licencing required to "join the
club".
>=20
> But couldn't you just pass the HDCP information through, in which=20
> case surely you wouldn't need to licence anything?
>=20

I have done a google or two on HDCP and come up with this....

http://www.edn.com/contents/images/209091.pdf

... which outlines how HDCP works and what is involved.

It also lead me onto this....

http://www.digital-cp.com/home/HDCPLicense01262006.pdf

... as I suspected, to join the club is very expensive.

"The annual fee shall be US $15,000 per year

In addition to the annual fee the adopter shall pay the following=20
device key fees for each order of device keys.

1,000,000 keys =3D US $5,000
100,000 keys =3D US $2,500
10,000 keys =3D US $1,000"

It probably goes some way in explaining why the first available HDMI=20
over CAT5 converters are > $500 per set.

Also found this which might be of interest....
http://www.hometheaterpeople.com/tutorials/hdcp_dvi.asp

> >Component HiDef can be carried over RGB KAT5 units and the
spare=20
channel can be used for SPDIF Digital Audio.

=20
> I bought a "HD ready" Samsung TV only a few months ago and
that=20
only=20
> has component inputs.  The other issue if they take away the=20
> component outputs is how do you drive 2 devices (a TV and a=20
> Projector) with only one HDMI?
>=20

I recently got a nice new 32" JVC CRT with three SCARTS (2 RGB=20
capable) then about three weeks later read on the Tivo forum that=20
Samsung are releasing an 32" HD CRT for the same price (=A3350)

> HiDef has tempted me back to to Satan TV after a long time=20
refusing=20
> to cough up.   I can't bear to get rid of my TiVo though and I=20
just=20
> know that the SkyHD box is going to be a let down compared to=20
> TiVo.  Why-o-why have TiVo abandoned us?
>=20

I dont think the people who were selling TiVo realised what a superb=20
product they were selling. It wasnt helped by the fact that TiVo=20
didnt give the shops a subscription for the demo machines so that=20
they could truely show its capabilities :(

=20
> How long before someone releases a hack for the SkyHD box?  I've=20
> certainly seen stuff on the net suggesting that HDCP has been=20
cracked.
>=20

I heard somewhere about an HDMI distribution amp that had HDCP on=20
its input and one output but the other outputs were non HDCP HDMI=20
but this unit was allegedly about =A32500

Regards

Keith

Searchable KAT5 archive can be found at
http://www.ukha-archive.com/=20