RE: [KAT5] Matrix Switcher

At 21:13 08/09/2005, Keith Doxey wrote:

>Hi Peter,
>
>Thought you were a bit quiet in your previous post :-)

Made the mistake of putting bullet points in which made the message go
as=20
html I think, which then got shaved off by yahoo.

> > I don't know where my PC might go in the future so that makes it
> > hard to know where to lay a DVI cable.
>
>DVI is the most difficult as cable lengths must be kept reasonably
short
>with as few connectors as possible. There are extenders available for
CAT5
>cable (not from me) but these are expensive and also need 2 cables.

The more I think about DVI, the less important it becomes.  I think I have=
=20
an irrational craving for the word "digital" even when it's not
necessary!

> >         Then it suddenly dawned on me that if I had Cat5 laid on
to the
> > projector site (on a wall near the ceiling) I could potentially
patch
> > anything into the projector with the right sort of Kat5 pair.  So
I cou=
ld
> > patch through a DVD from under the TV back to Node 0 and then
> > back into the
> > projector.
>

> > Can I use my RGBS Kat5 pair for component video?
>
>Yes. An RGB set can be used for RGBS, Component+Composite, 2 lots of
>S-Video, 4 Composite Video, Component+SPDIF etc.

So if I had a Sky+ box (or the future HDTV version which I shall call=20
Sky++) , the multichannel audio (as long as its copper rather than
optical)=
=20
can be plugged into one of my Kat5 video connectors and it will come out=20
t'other end?  So SPDIF is electrically the same as video?  It's a pity
some=
=20
bright spark didn't make analogue audio electrically the same as video.

And is any HDTV signal is likely to be available as, or reasonably
easily=20
converted to component?

Is there any chance that the audio will be out of synch in my scenario?

>A normal set of KAT5 could carry Stereo Audio (giving prologic) and the
>video circuits can carry SPDIF to handle 5.1 etc. If you only have
Optical
>connections on your kit you will need to use Co-ax/Optical converters.

Which are =A320 at Keene so that's not a worry.

> > It also struck me that although right now I might have to
> > do a bit of patching if I wanted to change sources, that using
Cat5 to =
the
> > projector would be the ultimate choice as and when the Matrix
Switcher
> > appears.  If I  understand correctly this would allow me to have
multip=
le
> > sources simultaneously going to one or more outputs, all
controlled by
> > IR.  Have I got the gist of the switcher right?
>
>Exactly right.

That makes a change.

The only problem now is that I've got Kat5 Video from Node0/DVD-Under-TV
to=
=20
Projector, Kat5 Audio from Node0 to YSP-Next-to-TV, but I don't have any=20
Kat 5 from the TV to Node0 which I can use for IR!!  And I've just used=20
both my Kat5 points at the TV!

> > I also want to allow for future developments (Sky+, HDTV,
Computer).
> > Will Cat5/Kat5 satisfy my short- and long-terms requiremnts?  Any
> > hints, tips will be gratefully received.
>
>KAT5 will be able to handle any analogue video requirements. At the
moment=
>cant develop products for DVI/HDMI because I am concentrating on
getting t=
he
>switcher finished and I also dont own any digital Video kit yet!

Digital schmigital!  Concentrate on the switcher.  ;-)

Thanks for the reply Keith.

Peter

--=20
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.