RE: [KAT5] VGA over Cat5

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] VGA over Cat5
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:58:55 +0100

Hi Glenn,

> You know a truckload more about video signals than I do... Can you
> comment on this page?
>
> http://www.geocities.com/dougburbidge/vgaovercat5.html
>
> The boss just shipped this link over to me (it was linked to in the
MAKE
> blog, but I hadn't gotten to that feed yet this morning) and wants me
> have our EE dorks build us some boards, but I can imagine, if it was
> that easy, you wouldn't be having such issues with your VGA
adapters...

You *CAN* just send VGA over CAT cable in the same way as you can send
Composite Video ver CAT5 cable without any form of balancing whatsoever.
What you CANT do it maintain the quality or send it any distance without
serious degradation and susceptability to interference.

Whilst twisted pair has an almost magical immunity to interference it ONLY
applies to balanced signals and that page describes sending ordinary
unbalanced signals.

It is a cheap method though .... but then you get what you pay for :-)

Regards

Keith

Searchable KAT5 archive can be found at
http://www.ukha-archive.com/