Re: [KAT5] Gradual darkening of picture

  • Subject: Re: [KAT5] Gradual darkening of picture
  • From: "erstwing_challenge" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:54:26 -0000

> There is a limit to how many receivers can be run off a transmitter
but I
> dont know what that unit would be as I ran out of Rooms and TV's to
connect
> up !!!
>
> Several people are running 3 x RXU + 1RX from a single transmitter
and
> accoring to my database there is someone else who has 5 x RXU + 1
RX as you
> do.
>
> Given that you are currently only running 3 + 1 then there are a
couple of
> things that spring to mind....
>
> 1. One of your RXU's is actually an RX by mistake !
> 2. Your TV's are less tollerant of the slight drop in signal level
that
> occurs when several RXU's are connected.
>
> ... the main thing confusing me is that the signal level would drop
on the
> entire cable so all TV's would experience a lower level so all
should darken
> slightly which is why I asked about trying the same TV in all
positions.

> What would you estimate the TOTAL cable length to be bearing in
mind that
> for the intermediate sockets you are doubling the distance.
>
> Can you remove the lids of the RXU's and confirm that along the top
edge of
> the PCB where writing is there are 4 vacant positions for resistors
mounted
> horizontally and numbered R501, R507, R601, R607. If you compare
that to the
> RX you will see that those positions are filled.
>
> Regards
>
> Keith

Ok, in terms of cable length we are talking:

TX-Loft = 15m
Loft-Lounge-Loft = 30m
Loft-Office-Loft = 30m
Loft-Bedroom-Loft = 20m
Loft-Kitchen-Loft = 30m

Total = 125m (prob 175m with next 2 outlets)

It is definitely the case that signal darkens along the line. If I
disconnect outlets 1 and 2 then 3 and 4 look great. If I change the
sequence so that outlets 3 and 4 become 1 and 2 then the darkness
switches accordingly.

I have swapped RXUs (although not methodically) so I can investigate
this further, including resistor positions. The one thing I have not
done is to move the kitchen TV to a central position in the line and
I accept that it may be possible that it is more sensitive to slight
signal reductions than the other TVs. I will have a bit more of an
experiment and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the speedy feedback.

Regards

Mark

Searchable KAT5 archive can be found at