RE: [KAT5] Gradual darkening of picture

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] Gradual darkening of picture
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:29:03 +0100

Hi Mark,

> Thanks, Keith. I would be grateful if you can confirm that it should
> be possible to run 4 or more receivers in a chain without noticable
> darkening of picture. As I mentioned, I have 6 to fit altogether,
> and if I am  pushing the technology a bit I may rethink my plans.
> If it looks like a problem at my end then I will try some more
> investigation to work out what the problem is.

There is a limit to how many receivers can be run off a transmitter but I
dont know what that unit would be as I ran out of Rooms and TV's to connect
up !!!

Several people are running 3 x RXU + 1RX from a single transmitter and
accoring to my database there is someone else who has 5 x RXU + 1 RX as you
do.

Given that you are currently only running 3 + 1 then there are a couple of
things that spring to mind....

1. One of your RXU's is actually an RX by mistake !
2. Your TV's are less tollerant of the slight drop in signal level that
occurs when several RXU's are connected.

... the main thing confusing me is that the signal level would drop on the
entire cable so all TV's would experience a lower level so all should
darken
slightly which is why I asked about trying the same TV in all positions.

What would you estimate the TOTAL cable length to be bearing in mind that
for the intermediate sockets you are doubling the distance.

Can you remove the lids of the RXU's and confirm that along the top edge of
the PCB where writing is there are 4 vacant positions for resistors mounted
horizontally and numbered R501, R507, R601, R607. If you compare that to
the
RX you will see that those positions are filled.

Regards

Keith

Searchable KAT5 archive can be found at
http://www.ukha-archive.com/