[KAT5] Re: Conecting UK phones to Cat 5

  • Subject: [KAT5] Re: Conecting UK phones to Cat 5
  • From: "Robert Learmouth" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:08:56 -0000

--- In kat5-users@xxxxxxx, "Kevin Roche" <kevin@o...>
wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Does anyone know of a site that explains how to connect my house=20
phones to
> my Cat 5 network?
>=20
> In the office they use an adaptor which has an RJ45 plug and a UK=20
phone
> socket. Which pin goes where? How do I connect more than one?
>=20
> Kevin Roche

When I do my cabling I'm going to connect the BT pair onto the=20
corresponding pins behind the first RJ45 port of a reserved bank on=20
the patch panel. Then I'm going to daisy-chain the same pins together=20
(with Cat 5 or phone cable) behind the next x ports . That way I have=20
x live sources I can cross patch to the corresponding room=20
presentation.

You then need a Secondary adaptor (RJ45 plug to RJ11 socket) for each=20
phone. These are 4 or 5 quid each I think.

Don't tamper with the BT cabling behind the demarcation point which=20
is normally the master socket. Apart from being illegal you will=20
loose the master circuity to make the phones ring.

Some might consider this a bodge but I think it's quite a neat way of=20
doing it!

Another nice touch would be the addition of a BT Ultimate 106=20
exchange. This runs 1 incoming line to up to 6 extensions. Just cable=20
each extension on the 106 to each port of a bank on the patch panel=20
before cross patching to the rooms. Hey presto you have room to room=20
extensions and call direction so you can say press 1 for personal=20
calls and 2 for business calls (should you work from home). There are=20
many other features including a door intercom and release module. I=20
installed one in our unit and it's superb. All for =A325 second-hand=20
off Ebay!!

It's quite incredible the flexibility of Cat and all for just a few=20
quid!

Regards,

Robert