Re: [KAT5] Digest Number 230

  • Subject: Re: [KAT5] Digest Number 230
  • From: Eddy Carroll <ecarroll@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:48:23 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

I installed some ceiling speakers in two new houses recently (both
relatives). I used an inline impedance-based speaker volume control
from CPC, mounted on the wall beside the light switches.

(http://www.cpc.co.uk/ - search for
item code AV01580).

The only thing to watch out for is that it needs quite a deep wallbox;
47mm rather than 25mm or 37mm. It works quite well - 10 discrete volume
positions, plus OFF. I have six of them connected through a speaker
distribution unit (CPC code AV02600), driven by a decent power amp.

The amp is connected to the "Multi-room out" on a decent A/V amp.
The amp's main speaker outputs feed the room where the amp itself is
located (allowing it to have different sound than the rest of the house
when desired).

The wiring is standard 79-strand speaker cable, installed while the house
was being built.

Hope this helps,

Eddy
----