RE: [KAT5] Wiring House

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] Wiring House
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:01:46 +0100

> 1 - Should I opt for cat 5e or cat 6 cable?

Cat5e, nothing really requires Cat6, every business premises in the
world is Cat5e and they won't all be rewiring any time soon, so
everything in the near future will also use cat5e.

> 2 - If I went with cat 6 would the KAT5 modules work okay?
Yes, but why bother

> 3 - Can I use the same "network" for both data and
> audio/video or is it better to use patch panels and create
> separate networks?
Same network is fine, that is what structured wiring is all about, I run
video, LAN, alarm, IR and phone all over the same Cat5e network and
often swap things around.

> 4 - I'm not allowed to wire the house myself prior to it
> being handed over to me (health and safety and all that). The
> electrician has offered to put it in (although can't give me
> a price until I give him a detailed diagram). Has anyone else
> taken this route and what advice can they give?
At least 4 wires ro every room, more to major AV or computer rooms and
all terminated back at a single point (node zero)

Graham