[KAT5] Kat5 versus balun versus component coax

  • Subject: [KAT5] Kat5 versus balun versus component coax
  • From: "Jeremy Aston" <jeremyaston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:35:07 -0000

Hi all,

I really like the idea of using cat 5 to distribute my a/v - I've
flood wired my place and have plenty of cable to do it with!  I am not
an electronics expert however and other installers have suggested
using baluns to achieve the same thing.  I don't know why that might
be a better solution.

The question is - if I wanted to distribute component video from my
dvd to my (as yet unbought) 42" plasma am I better running three high
quality coax cable plus audio feed (I still have the boards up to do
it), or using Kat5 hardware or using a component video balun and cat5e
cable.  I appreciate that the response here may be skewed towards kat5
but hopefully Keith or someone else will have some argumentation that
will explain what the differences are and what the pros/cons of each
method are.

I have posted a similar msg on ukha_d and someone suggested a Kat5
module but did not explain why it would be the best choice.

Many thanks in advance

Jez