RE: [KAT5] putting composite video over co-axial cable?

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] putting composite video over co-axial cable?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:46:14 -0000

Hi Gyre

> > Just one question.... how are you
> going to carry
> > the audio?
>
> I thought of that question about 30s after I posted :)

LOL :-)

> I'm running an ethernet-over-mains network at home and could
> encode and decode
> the audio over that, at a pinch.  But at 14mbps, it is too slow
> for good quality
> video.

There would also be a significant delay introduced by the encoding which
would put audio and video out of sync

> I'm using a wireless video sender as an interrim measure at the
> moment.  Apart from shite quality, it is affected by folks walking
around
> between the source and destination :)

Now *I* couldnt have said that about the quality as people would just think
that I am biased, but as you have said it I can now agree :-)

> > Is the Coax buried in the wall or fed down the cavity.
>
> Difficult to tell.  The place where it appears in the loft is
> right in the very corner of the roof where it joins the ceiling.

Face down in the fibreglass with fingertips just touching cable ....been
there, done that ... too many times!

> I've tried wobbling the wire from both ends, but it appears stuck
fast.

Drat... and double drat :-(

> With hindsight, I should have flooded the house with cat5 while they
were
> building it 5 years back.  But then, 5 years ago I didn't know I
> was going to need it.  :)

I refer the honourable gentleman to the following web pages created by some
knowledgeable bloke...

http://www.diyha.co.uk/wiring/previously.html
http://www.diyha.co.uk/wiring/differently.html

...neither has been updated for over 4 years (he's been a bit busy with
KAT5.tv) but the first page starts off...

"Having previously wired my home with all the cables I would ever need
over
12 years ago, I have now discovered that it is impossible to predict all
your future needs."

Now as I wired my house in about 1985/6 that would indicate that the pages
were written in 1997/8 so the information you needed was available :-)

Regards