Re: [KAT5] putting composite video over co-axial cable?

Hi Keith.  Thanks for replying.

> The biggest "gotcha" is that as you say you have
"A" coax which could indeed
> carry the compsote video. Just one question.... how are you going to
carry
> the audio?

I thought of that question about 30s after I posted :)

I'm running an ethernet-over-mains network at home and could encode and
decode
the audio over that, at a pinch.  But at 14mbps, it is too slow for good
quality
video.

> I could tweak a unit in such a way and you would only need a unit at
the
> source end. It would be a box with an RF modulator in it and you would
have
> RF quality picture with Mono Audio just as you would by using the RF2
output
> of your SKY box.

I think I have RF output from the sources anyway, in addition to RGB and
composite.

> Not really. If you want top quality Audio and Video then use your KAT5
units
> with CAT5 as intended otherwise the only options are using your
existing
> coax for RF or using a wireless video sender.

I'm using a wireless video sender as an interrim measure at the moment.
Apart
from shite quality, it is affected by folks walking around between the
source
and destination :)

> Is the Coax buried in the wall or fed down the cavity. If its in the
cavity
> and loose then you might be able to use it as a draw string for the
CAT5
> cable you currently lack.

Difficult to tell.  The place where it appears in the loft is right in the
very
corner of the roof where it joins the ceiling.
I've tried wobbling the wire from both ends, but it appears stuck fast.

With hindsight, I should have flooded the house with cat5 while they were
building it 5 years back.  But then, 5 years ago I didn't know I was going
need it.  :)

-- Andy --