RE: [KAT5] putting composite video over co-axial cable?

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5] putting composite video over co-axial cable?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <kat5users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 21:48:02 -0000

Hi Gyre

Understandable :-)

> I notice I have a co-axial cable running from the downstairs
> lounge to the loft.
> And another co-axial cable from one of the upstairs bedrooms into
> the loft.
>
> So, I thought about somehow sending composite video up that
> cable, instead of
> UHF, and then running CAT5+KAT5 from that room to the destination
> room with the
> TV.
>
> Firstly, does it make any sense to run composite video over
> co-ax?  If so, are
> there any gotachas?  What about connectors - what should I be
> looking for?  Or
> should I just stick to boring old RF?

Composite can be run over co-ax as that is how it is normally carried BUT
UHF coax is not the same a coax specifically intended for video use. Also,
as this cable already exists in the walls I am assuming that the builders
installed it when the house was built. If so, it is probably the cheapest
of
the cheap coax that they could find.

The biggest "gotcha" is that as you say you have "A"
coax which could indeed
carry the compsote video. Just one question.... how are you going to carry
the audio?

> Secondly, could KAT5, with suitable tweaking, use co-ax instead of
CAT5?

I could tweak a unit in such a way and you would only need a unit at the
source end. It would be a box with an RF modulator in it and you would have
RF quality picture with Mono Audio just as you would by using the RF2
output
of your SKY box.

> Thirdly... without destroying my house, is there a better way of
> accomplishing
> what I'm trying to do? :)

Not really. If you want top quality Audio and Video then use your KAT5
units
with CAT5 as intended otherwise the only options are using your existing
coax for RF or using a wireless video sender.

Is the Coax buried in the wall or fed down the cavity. If its in the cavity
and loose then you might be able to use it as a draw string for the CAT5
cable you currently lack.

Regards