[KAT5] putting composite video over co-axial cable?

  • Subject: [KAT5] putting composite video over co-axial cable?
  • From: "gyre" <gyre@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:05:18 -0000

Hi Folks.

This question is partially kat5 related.  :)

I've been trying to get my sky digital s-video or composite signal from the
STB
downstairs to the TV upstairs.

I've been using KAT5 and running a CAT5 cable down the edge of the stairs
for a
while, but want a slightly safer solution :)

I notice I have a co-axial cable running from the downstairs lounge to the
loft.
And another co-axial cable from one of the upstairs bedrooms into the loft.

So, I thought about somehow sending composite video up that cable, instead
of
UHF, and then running CAT5+KAT5 from that room to the destination room with
the
TV.

So, I've got a few questions that (after you've finished laughing), you
might
wish to have a stab at :)

Firstly, does it make any sense to run composite video over co-ax?  If so,
are
there any gotachas?  What about connectors - what should I be looking for?
Or
should I just stick to boring old RF?

Secondly, could KAT5, with suitable tweaking, use co-ax instead of CAT5?

Thirdly... without destroying my house, is there a better way of
accomplishing
what I'm trying to do? :)

Thanks!

-- gyre --