Re: [KAT5] Newbie type question...

  • Subject: Re: [KAT5] Newbie type question...
  • From: "m_surgenor" <zen8432@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:07:03 -0000

Thanks for all the replies guys and great pointers.  I can see this
is not exactly going to be cheap to implement - whether it's Extron
or alternatives!  :)  However I want to improve the quality of
pictures received at the distributed TVs as well as be able to
distribute more sources than i can just now (Sky and terrestial).
I'm off to do my research.

Apologies for taking so long to reply and thanks again for your help
but I've just had the weekend from hell! My main PC HD drive failed
on Friday and whilst I meticulously take daily and weekly backups I
just could not get them back on a new HD. I always partition my
drives and it's only the programs I can't restore so luckily i still
have all my data.

Anyway I'm in the process of reinstalling all my software at the
moment - probably still a day or two to go.

Then this morning when I came down stairs I found that my HomeSeer PC
had shutdown - something that never happens. I tried to reboot only
to be told there was no boot device! To cut along story short that I
eventually rebooted using its W2K emergency recovery disk and
everything seems to be fine. I think i might invest in a new HD for
that too though...

KAT5 i think will have to wait for a day or two until I'm clear of
this!  :)

Malcolm

--- In kat5-users@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups@s...> wrote:
> Malcolm,
>
> You'll need some kind of video distribution amp.
>
> I have an Extron MAV128 which is a 12 input, 8 output AV switcher
with RS232 control - expensive though. I also built a 1 in, 3 out
distribution amplifier that has 6 circuits - time consuming to build
though.

> There are cheaper alternatives from places like Keene:
>
> www.keene.co.uk
>
> Loads of options from companies like Kramer and a few scart
distribution units too (cheaper generally). What you need really
depends on how many sources you want to distribute. The beauty of the
Extron switcher I have is that every input is amplified and can be
sent to any or all of the 8 outputs with stereo audio. The audio can
also be broken away from the video and again sent to any output. This
is known as a matrix switcher.

> The other alternative would be Keiths switcher once it's ready but
I guess that's still a way off yet.

> I have some pics of my kit at:
>
> www.siliconpixel.com/gallery
>
> Paul.

especially
> > now that the KAT5 units have IR incorporated.
> >
> > I already have a fairly extensive CAT5 network in the house and
> > luckily with some spare outlets in some rooms.  They all come
back to
> > a patch panel in my node zero.
> >
> > What I can't get to grips with is how I could view one source on
> > multiple TVs with KAT5 (told you it was a basic question!) -
which is
> > what I can do now...
> >
> > From the diagrams on Keith's web site I can see that if I put,
for
> > example, a DVD player in node zero and attached that to a KAT5
> > transmitter and that then to a CAT5 cable with a KAT5 receiver at
the
> > other end, I could watch a DVD on the TV attached to that
receiver.
> > But what if I also wanted to watch the same DVD in another room
which
> > is similarly equipped with a KAT5 receiver (and CAT5)?
> >
> > The only way I can see is to go to node zero and patch that CAT5
over
> > (losing the signal in the original room).  What am I missing?
:-)