KAT5 thoughts...

  • Subject: KAT5 thoughts...
  • From: eddy_carroll
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:35:00 +0000

(As a new subscriber, I've just spent an enjoyable couple of hours
perusing the archives - thanks to all contributers for a wealth of
useful info.)

A couple of thoughts and questions about current and future KAT5
modules:

1. I've already discovered that sending video over the audio pairs
produces dodgy results, no doubt due to the video signal requiring a
circuit suitable for 75 Ohm / high frequency. Is the reverse true,
i.e. is their noticeable degradation sending audio signals over the
video circuits?

(If it's negligible, then that suggests that a KAT5 tx/rx pair with
all four circuits optimised for video would be a more useful unit han
the two video/two audio standard unit, since it would be easier to
adapt to RGB/component/digital audio in the future if circumstances
required.)

2. Would it be difficult to make the termination resistors in the Rx
units more user-controllable, either by way of socketed resistor
packs or ideally through DIP switches? This would remove the need to
have two different types of Rx units, and would also make them more
flexible. (I understand that this can be done right now, but it
sounds as if it involves some soldering...)

3. While we await the official IR upgrade, is there any benefit to
trying to send a standard IR receiver signal down the spare video
pair, using a suitable breakout cable and possibly a local IR amp at
the remote location, along with a composite video+stereo audio
signal? Or is the KAT5 circuitry used for video not really suitable
for IR-level signals?

Thanks,

Eddy (with apologies for any naive assumptions about electronics
above; I'm more of a software person.)