RE: Multidrop KAT5 AV Daisy Chain

  • Subject: RE: Multidrop KAT5 AV Daisy Chain
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:07:00 +0000

Hi Neil,

The Daiychaining cannot be done at the patch panel because that would be
Star Wiring.

At Video frequencies it is essential that a cable is correctly terminated
at
the end of its run to prevent reflection of the signal which at best will
cause ghosting and at worst, render the picture totally unwatchable.

If you have the cables commoned at the patch panel you will have two long
lengths of cable running to the receivers. One of thes will be terminated
but the other will not and will cause reflections that will ruin the image.
Terminating both cables is not an option as there will the transmitter will
see a double termination and the signal levels will be incorrect.

If you have multiple sources you can wire them to a SCART Switchbox before
going into the transmitter. I am currently working on a multizone,
multisource switcher to act as an AV hub for KAT5 and when this is release
Multidrop will no longer be required as all rooms will be able to select
whichever source they wish to view.

Hope that helps

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk