Re: KAT5 Switcher Backwards Compatibility

  • Subject: Re: KAT5 Switcher Backwards Compatibility
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:38:00 +0000

Hi Phil,

I understand and share your concerns. I hate it when I have to throw
away perfectly good equipment just because it wont work with
something new.

Because of that, all KAT5 equipment is designed as far as possible*
to work with planned future developments. The IR upgrade due shortly
will be retrofittable to existing units. I know it works because it
was developed on the existing units.

Currently there arent any IR capable units being shipped but they
will be once the IR upgrade is released.

The unterminated receivers will not become obsolete because they are
basically the same as the normal terminated receivers, the only
difference being the absence of 4 resistors. Fit those and it becomes
a normal RX instead of an RXU. You will still need a receiver in each
room for connection to TV etc, likewise you will need a transmitter
for each source to connect it to the switcher.

* As I dont know what the future may bring I cant guarantee that
everything will be forwards compatable but backwards compatability
will be maintained wherever possible.

Hope that helps

Keith

--- In <a
href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=LPDE7O1l8eWr_if8G7KbFyarlQviozm_qefLDrcnaFCgx9y2Yehk9PhdntgLdMHVP4bt4-PDyG9dISrcBA6O3A">kat5-users@xxxxxxx</a>,
"Elliott, Phil P SUKOP-UOIT/31"
<phil.elliott@s...> wrote:
> Hello Keith
>
> I don't own any KAT5 equipment yet because I am waiting for the
switcher and had given myself the impression that if I buy a load of
transmitters and receivers now some of them will be obsolete when the
switcher is available.

> If I buy terminated receivers so I can daisy chain to a single
transmitter will these become obsolete with the switcher because it
can handle all the sharing of input sources?

> Can you also confirm if the transmitters and receivers that you
currently ship support IR.

> Regards
>

> Phil Elliott
>

> Phil Elliott
> Computer Consultant
> Shell U.K. Oil Products Limited
> Delta House, Wavell Road, Wythenshawe, Manchester M22 5SB, United
Kingdom