Wiring up a patch panel

  • Subject: Wiring up a patch panel
  • From: ihatetripe
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:42:00 +0000

I now have my patch panel and Cat5 cabling. I am trying to wire up
the cables to the cat5 socket modules on the IBM patch panel. It is
not as easy as I thought!! Here is how I am doing it.

Strip off the sheath to of the cat5 cable.
Split the wires.
The module is in 2 parts a top plastic part where I lay the cables
into the colour coded slots, and the bottom part which has the metal
parts the individual wires are pushed into and contact made, and the
main socket.
The problem I am having is pushing down the top part onto the bottom.
I have managed to finish 1, but by checking with a continuity tester,
one of the wires has not been seated properly. I cannot pull apart
the 2 to remedy this! I am having to use serious force in pushing the
top part onto the bottom.

Does anyone know of any tricks to doing this?

Thanks in advance

James