Re: newbie question - how to get cat5 cabling into walls?

  • Subject: Re: newbie question - how to get cat5 cabling into walls?
  • From: gyre
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:13:00 +0000

Thanks Keith and Kevin.

Excellent replies, and a great way to cope with a newbie.

I had thought of doing something fairly naive as I have concrete floors
downstairs.

I was going to put node 0 in the loft, as I have lots of space.

Then make 2 batches of cat5 cable drops somehow down the cavities in the
walls from the loft down to the lounge and office.

Several problems/questions with that approach.

Firstly, I don't know how accessible cavities are in general from lofts.

Secondly, I don't know whether there are a nice clean drops, without ties
or
things in the way. Heck, I don't even know if there are any cavities.
However, I'm guessing as the house is only 4 years old, that this is the
case.

Thirdly, I don't know if I'm violating 100s of building regs by using the
cavity for cat5 cable. Should I be sending down trunking as well inside the
cavity or just the wire? Am I in danger of making a bridge between inside
and outside wall that will cause damp inside?

Fourthly, I suspect that trying to get the dangling wire visible from a
suitable hole drilled in the wall might be trying to find a needle in a
haystack.

Fifthly, are the distances involved going to cause any problems with AV
signals with KAT5?

Options, abuse, etc, very welcome :)

-- gyre --