S-Video surprise :-)

  • Subject: S-Video surprise :-)
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:25:00 +0000

Hi All,

Just discovered that on of my el cheapo 14" portables supports S-Video
:-)

I was messing about with my daughters TV and pressed the AV IN button on
the
remote at which point, not unsurprisingly, the TV switched to the AV input
and displayed AV in the top corner of the screen.

I dont know why, but I pressed the button again and "S-VHS"
appeared in the
top corner.

Turned the DVD player on fed as composite and it grabbed the TV and
displayed the picture as usual. Pressed the AV button to get S-VHS
displayed
and the colours went really weak and patterned indicating that there was
some bleed through in the cheap SCART lead but that the TV was actually
looking for S-Video

I got an S-Video lead into a SCART adapter and hooked up the DVD player and
selected AV. The picture was Black and White as it should be with the wrong
selection. Changed to S-VHS and got glorious colour and the improvement in
picture quality that S-Video should bring.

This means that this TV supports Composite, S-Video and RGB all through the
same SCART socket despite there being no mention of it in the manual. :-)

I spent ages unsuccessfully trying to find a portable that supported
S-Video
and am well pleased that this cheap BUSH portable does the job perfectly.
There may well be other makes that have this undocumented feature so it
could well be worth your while checking your own TV's

There is one slightly annoying aspect to this discovery..... this was one
of
the two portable TV's I used as UKHA2003. I had to run the TV's as
Composite because I thought I couldnt do S-Video :-(

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv