RE: newbie question - how to get cat5 cabling into walls?

  • Subject: RE: newbie question - how to get cat5 cabling into walls?
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:28:00 +0000

Hi Gyre

Firstly, Welcome to the group :-)

Running cables is always a difficult job and needs careful planning to
minimise the need to run additional cables later.

You should NOT be thinking of running a cable from Lounge to Office. The
whole point of CAT5 cabling is that it should form a "Structured"
wiring
scheme.

This generally involves picking a suitable point within the home for a
patch
panel. It can be almost anywhere provided it is dry and reasonably
accessable. All CAT5 cable from various rooms should be run to this patch
panel affectionately known as "Node 0" (Zero). This enables you
to easily
connect any device be it a PC Network connection, Telephone line, KAT5 etc
to any location in the house where you have put sockets.

NEVER think of running a single cable. Although you can put a single RJ45
faceplate on, it is more common to fit either a twin or even quad RJ45
outlet in a single gang wallbox. Running two or 4 cables to the same
location hardly involves any extra effort than running a single cable and
the cost of the cable is negligable. You will ALWAYS find a use for the
cables you have run, and if you dont plan ahead you will definately curse
the lack of installed sockets at some point in the future.

If you have to add sockets later you have all the disruption and
redecorating all over again.

You can read my wiring page on <a href="http://www.diyha.co.uk/wiring/index.html";>http://www.diyha.co.uk/wiring/index.html</a>
It
hasnt been updated for ages ( been rather busy building KAT5 units ) but
the
information is still valid.

Hope that helps

Keith