Re: Converting KAT5 AVS-RX to KAT5 AVS-RXU

  • Subject: Re: Converting KAT5 AVS-RX to KAT5 AVS-RXU
  • From: graham_howe
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:54:00 +0000

--- In kat5-users@y..., "Keith Doxey" <keith.doxey@b...>
wrote:
> Graham,
>
> The RXU only differs from an RX by the ommision of 4 resistors.
>
> To use an RXU you need to either hardwire two CAT5 cables onto an
RJ45
> outlet or use an RJ45 doubler. There physically isnt the space to
mount a
> second RJ45 on the KAT5 itself and without cutting a chunk out of
the case,
> a double wont fit the socket on the KAT5.
>
> The way to use the doubler is to place it in one half of a double
faceplate
> and run one lead to the other socket, one lead to the KAT5
>
> The attached image shows the resistors to remove.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Keith

Thanks Keith,

I had already read the stuff on your site about the adapter not
fitting, but I was trying to avoid having it dangling out of the wall
plate. But if there isn't any space inside the units then I guess
that will be the only solution.

The diagram is indeed helpful, but it got me thinking. Would it be
possible (again space might be a problem) to fit 4 dip switches
to 'short' across each of the resistors so that I end up with a unit
that can be AVS-RX or AVS-RXU. The reason I ask is that when (note I
didn't say if ;-)) the switcher is available, I assume I will need
AVS-RX units rather than AVS-RXU.

Regards

Graham