[no subject]

I mean we all know that you shouldn't run Cat5 next to
mains cable right.. but if look under my desk now I can
see about 3 foot of cat5 cable connecting my PC to the
LAN and its tangled up with 5 power cords.. and all
working fine !

> Clever huh? Nope. I should have gone for satellite cable
> like CT100, so haven't quite got the ultimate flexibility

Haa harr.. I'm OK on that one.. I HAVE specified CT100.. :)

> Though ask Ken Watt in the main UKHA group all about retro-fitting
> inline modules......

Sorry for asking dumb questions but what is this "main UKHA
group"
is it an email list ?

> The cunning plan with the switcher will be to switch any 8 sources
> into any 1 or more of 8 destinations.

Hey this sounds cool !
Is this planned to be controllable via IR .. how about IP ?

* "Mark Harrison" Writes ..
> The module that you're thinking of is one to carry an SP/DIF signal -
> ie to a remote decoder.

Sorry.. dumb question again.. is this sp/dif signal something different
from a normal audio signal. Would it be possible to transmit the sp/dif
signal over a cat5 cable via a Kat5 box and would that a different
box than the one for 4 channel audio ?

Ideally I'd love to have the house wired such that each room has a speaker
in each corner and each room could (at the flick of a button or the press
of a touch screen) either play from a local source, TV audio (stereo or
5.1)
, or whole house audio. Problem is cost :)

* "Keith Doxey" writes ;
>Tony and Mark have answered most of the points and its good to have the
> answers given by satisfied customers :-)

Certainly inspires "future" customers :)

> KAT5 can be custom built to ANY mix of Audio and Video in either
direction
> subject to a maximum of 4 circuits in a unit. This is because each
circuit
> uses one pair in the CAT4 cable and there are only 4 pairs.

Mmm.. would it not be possible to build a unit that was completely user
configurable then. i.e. it had 4 audio and 2 video encoder/decoder circuit
and the user simply flipped a dip switch or something to configure
which 4 circuits to use ? Sorry if that's obviously a dumb question but
from a "user" perspective it seems very versatile and means I
wouldn't
be "painted into a corner" at some later date...

> Your RF cables should not cause any problems as they a receiving
signals
> rather than transmitting them so the signal levels are only
microvolts.
Also
> despite my best efforts at introducing interference to KAT5 I have
failed
> miserably :-)

So I should be OK to run RF cable under the floorboards back to Node0 in
the
same conduit as my Cat5 ?

What about speaker cable.. I assume this is similar to mains.. i.e. keep
away
from cat5 ?

> So much so that I did a demonstration to Mark McCall where I
DELIBERATELY
> connected the output of a CD player to the CAT5 cable to cause
interference

Impressive ! Is this resilience a product of your Kat5's or the cat5
standard ?

* "Keith Doxey" <<a
href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=YSXMWfsRBrrqeDa0vzJFHVfv1HkUdkwg80BvuKlcV3MAmrAOWpcLGkGFoPJvHdB5yocoRoXKzc0L3eSmV9b_5Q">keith.doxey@b...</a>>
> You may be picking up interference because of the way you have patched
it.
> The phone wiring should be on 4&amp;5 the Blue/White pair and the
bell wire on
> the Orange on Pin2 if you have patched it to the correct standard for
> structured cabling and are using the plug in adaptors.

OK, that brings up the question of what is the "correct" standard
for
structured cabling ? I was thinking about punching my patch panels
to 586B standard (since that's what our engineer at work said we use
here).. how does this effect anything. Presumable how ever I punch
it down at the patch panel (586B) should be mirrored at the RJ45 Socket
end i.e. straight through connections.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Marcus

.---------.-------.-v---------.-------.--..--------------------------------.
: \.~~~./ : : \.~~~./ : Marcus J Warrington BSc (Hons)
.. Y o. .o Y  .. Y o. .o Y Senior Analyst Programmer
:: : (@) :  :: : (@) : MIS PTS Ltd
`. ~~__~\ `._!_./  `.~~__\`._!_.'/
: : `~'Y  : : `~' Y Phone :(+44) (0)845 330 4325
; ; D \  ; ; D \ Email :<a
href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=FeIpLXlmMysICqsAr8lVeJY8tcGfr2mXj-FsUk7Lxim1oXjR5unak4wu1OMGq1pzFoZ-uuheyszNuQ">marcusw@m...</a>
: . ; !  : . ; !  FreeView : WallEyed
; :~__\ / !  ; :~_\ /: !  ***WARNING*** This .sig is
/ ;'! / Y / : !  / ;' ! /Y / : !  protected by 3D Guard Dogs
: :. `:. : ! : ! : :. `:.: ! : !  The opinions herein are my own
`.i' : ! . `..`.i' : ! . `.. and , unless explicitly stated,
; `. `~'' ; `. `~'' may not represent those of MIS