Re: [OT] Hum on Phone.....was RE: Advice on sending video and audio around my house ... ?

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Hum on Phone.....was RE: Advice on sending video and audio around my house ... ?
  • From: tefxp
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 10:35:00 +0000

--- In kat5-users@y..., "Keith Doxey" <keith.doxey@b...>
wrote:
> A phone line is balanced as well. When it becomes unbalanced due to
a fault
> on the line, that is when you hear all the hum and other
conversations.

I see. I thought it was because the builder put some of the wires
too near the mains wiring - there are two runs in particular that I'm
not sure how he routed and when I connect them into the circut, the
hum increases significantly, whereas adding others only slightly
increases it. They are probably the two longest runs too if that
contributes to matters......

> You may be picking up interference because of the way you have
patched it.
> The phone wiring should be on 4&amp;5 the Blue/White pair and the
bell
wire on
> the Orange on Pin2 if you have patched it to the correct standard
for
> structured cabling and are using the plug in adaptors.

Umm.. dunno. Will have to check. I remember not being able to find
any info on connecting RJ11 to RJ45 so I probably went with using
similar colours to what was in a phone lead or something :)

I am using master socket adpaters throughout though....

> Moving myself away from the dimmer, or the phone away from my mouth
> deacreses the hum as well.

<LOL> - image of you standing in one corner of the room as far frmo
the dimmer as possible, shouting at your phone another corner of the
room :)

cheers,

Tony