[OT] Hum on Phone.....was RE: Advice on sending video and audio around my house ... ?

  • Subject: [OT] Hum on Phone.....was RE: Advice on sending video and audio around my house ... ?
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 22:14:00 +0000

A phone line is balanced as well. When it becomes unbalanced due to a fault
on the line, that is when you hear all the hum and other conversations.

You may be picking up interference because of the way you have patched it.
The phone wiring should be on 4&5 the Blue/White pair and the bell
wire on
the Orange on Pin2 if you have patched it to the correct standard for
structured cabling and are using the plug in adaptors.

Quite often it is the microphone in the phone that picks up hum from the
human body. This then gets amplified and becomes really annoying. If I use
the phone in the bedroom and lean against the dimmer switch, I pick up the
RFI from the dimmer and pass it into the phone. Turning the dimmer switch
brighter and dimmer increases the noise as it approaches the 50% point.
Moving myself away from the dimmer, or the phone away from my mouth
deacreses the hum as well.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv