Re: Switcher feature request

  • Subject: Re: Switcher feature request
  • From: tefxp
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:29:00 +0000

Indeed it is a good plan (though I thought you already had
the 'alpha' switch at home IIRC? :))

I'm sure many of us would love to test the kit, and unless Keith
wants us to enter into a 'beauty contest' of hardware we have that
means we should be the ones to test the kit, then I'm sure he knows
well who
a) would actually be a good tester and not just go at it half
heartedly!
b) he can trust not to spill the beans to everyone that he's doing it
and thus cause a flurry of emails requesting test kit
c) will to actually pass the kit on to the next tester and not try to
hoard it for himself
d) possesses any other criteria he feels qualifies them as a beta
tester!

I never have any luck getting onto beta programs and would be very
surpirsed (and indeed honoured!) if I was one of the lucky few.
Apart from Linn stuff, I doubt I have anything particularly unusual
that the majority don't have also, so it's unlikely. :-(

In terms of what it would be a good idea to test with, I should think
that dodgy sky boxes which don't like termination done in certain
ways, maybe 'difficult' kit like B&O (IR wise), um.... ntl cable
boxes (or is IrDa still off the agenda?), and of course all
variations of KAT5 units out in the wild at present.

Anyway, just my 2p worth and it's down to Mr D to decide anyway.....

Tony

--- In kat5-users@y..., "Mark Harrison"
<Mark.Harrison@e...> wrote:
> Keith,
>
> Sounds an excellent plan. I'd love to Beta test, and am quite happy
to pay a deposit for the kit on loan.

> I stress that any upgrades to my home security system (zoned alarm,
armed response, Phil Harris recognition software) are entirely co-
incidental.

> Regards,
>
> Mark

units
that will be
> "LOANED" to various people to test for compatability and
major
software
> bugs. This may involve the next person on the testing list
forcebley prising
> it out of the hands of the previous tester!!. I already have people
in mind
> based on the AV gear they have and what KAT5 units they already
posess so
> that they can test it to its limits. The "Beta" units almost
certainly will
> not be fully populated but will have maybe a 4x4 configuration to
enable
> reasonable testing to be done. The cases for the "Beta" may
not
even be the
> final cases, even if they are, they wouldnt be finished to the same
level as
> the Production models, after all, they will only be on loan.
>
> Once I am satisfied ( or more importantly.... the Beta testers are
> satisfied) that there are no major bugs the units will start to
roll.
> Firmware should be user upgradable to anyone with a PC and internet
> connection.
>
> I would love to say exactly when this will happen but at the moment
I cant.