RE: If all 4 channels in a KAT5 unit are video......

  • Subject: RE: If all 4 channels in a KAT5 unit are video......
  • From: Tony Butler
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 21:31:00 +0000

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the explaination.

I appreciate what you are saying about cost.
If the video/audioness of a source is determined by the RX/TX units
rather than anything in the switcher per-se, would it not be possible to
use one of your RGB units as source 1 and an SVideo/Audio unit as source
2 - that way all the video paths are the same length, so no funnies
there, and it means there is no need for the additional unit.

I know you're going to say 'that would mean you have less than 8
independent sources' but I'm thinking that your separate switching board
is probably not going to be released at the same time as the switcher,
so I might want to use this solution in the interim - provided the
switcher can handle all 4 signals as video that is.

I agree that sVideo is fine in most cases, and indeed would probably be
happy with that, except that not all sources support it.
Neither my Sky box nor my Tivo offer Svideo, so my choices are superior
RGB or inferior composite - or, the 3rd option being the most expensive,
RGB out of unit -> RGB-to-Svideo convertor -> KAT5 Svideo TX unit.

Adds too much to the cost :(
You need to do an RGB in ->sVideo + Audio balanced out :-)

I won't distract your from your PIC dev kit any more - except to say
your www.kat5.tv site seems to be dead at the moment - I can't get to it
at all....

Cheers,

Tony