RE: KAT5 Website Updated

  • Subject: RE: KAT5 Website Updated
  • From: Phil Harris
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:02:00 +0000

> > Actually there's a few people eager for me to do the garage
because
> > they want me to teach 'em how to set up CRT projectors!
>
> Can't you get a job doing that then Phil ??

Generally CRT setups are £300 - £350 a pop if you get a pro in to do
them and (IMHO) I generally do a better job! CRT projectors do need to
"settle" after adjustments are made plus if you make too many
adjustments rapidly on a CRT then the adjustment circuits can get
overstressed and even in certain circumstances fail! (I know that sounds
like b*llocks but I have had friends in the industry confirm this ... I
couldn't believe it!)

Most Pro's will be in and out within an hour ... I will usually spend at
least four hours doing a setup to make sure nothing drifts in use.

One thing I can't do is colour balancing ... The kit for that is about
$5k but I have a friend who does have that equipment. He charges about
£300 - £350 for a colour balance and it's more than my life is worth to
even contemplate asking to borrow it! He had to go on an ISF
certification course (held in Canada) before he could really advertise
that he could provide the facility.

Unfortunately there's not enough CRT projectors out there to make it
worthwhile for me as a job and - well - I've done setups for people that
contacted me through the home cinema mail group and have never charged
anything more than my "standard fee" of as much tea as I can
drink while
I'm there.

Phil