RE: Sky''s the limit :-(

  • Subject: RE: Sky''s the limit :-(
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:24:00 +0000

Hi Tony,

Macrovision shouldnt make a scrap of difference.
My DVD player isnt modified and DVD works fine on mine. So does my Digibox.
The very first KAT5 prototype (it wasnt even called KAT5 then) was tested
using a Digibox.

What model of Digibox do you have ? Pace/Panasonic/Amstrad/Grundig etc

The 75 ohm termination in KAT5 is after a capacitor. I have had one case of
a Sony TV not liking that. In that case it was solved by fitting a 75ohm
resistor in the SCART lead feeding the transmitter.

If you have any form of SCART adapter box that will connect 2 devices to a
single output, try connecting the Digibox directly to a TV and the KAT5
transmitter at the same time.

One other thought, was the digibox connected to 2 things at once, if so,
the
video level will drop and it could be below the standard signal levels. If
the TV connected to the receiver has some form of picture muting eg Blue
Screen or Black Screen, that may be cutting in and causing the loss of
picture.

Normally domestic AV equipment is quite forgiving of improper levels which
is a pity as it means a lot of kit on sale does not generate the correct
signals or present the proper terminations which can lead to the types of
problems you describe.

Sadly, with the exception of DVD players, domestic AV kit is not designed
for connection to more than one device at once without the use of
splitters.
If you wish to connect your Digibox direct to your main TV and a KAT5
transmitter I can supply you with details of a slight mod to retain the
correct termination.

KAT5 faithfully reproduces the signal that it input to it. If it is too
high
the output will be too high, if it is too low the output will be too low.
For a correctly specified signal it will be perfect.

Let me know how you get on.

Keith