RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA

  • Subject: RE: RE: was Digital Audio/ now Ir and IRDA
  • From: simon still
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:59:00 +0000

>IRDA kinda works at 4m ... But usually at a well reduced data rate. I
>get about 1.5 - 2m between my laptop and ePod when using ActiveSync.

I think the range depends on the implementation - i've used my Palm with a
Nokia for email via IR and needed to keep them pretty close (under 1ft) but
beaming contacts palm-palm works over a few metres, as does phone to phone.

IIRC someone used to sell an add-on IR emitter for the palm when used as a
Pronto type learning remote because the onboard emitter range was rather
limited. From the remotecentral thread One4all remotes range is much
shorter with the irda for cable boxes but that's because the emitters are
being used outside their optimal frequency. The Pace remotes are designed
for irda and work as well as any other remote.

IR on laptops etc was designed to be used in the same way as BT - for short
range cable replacement rather than accross a large room. I suspect that
data rates fall over long distances due to interference from ambient
lighting even if the power is upped - you wouldnt notice with a remote
control but you would with sustained data transfer.

Simon

We are wandering way off topic here - not my forum but I'd prefer to keep
the subject matter tight.