RE: Digital Audio

  • Subject: RE: Digital Audio
  • From: Mark Harrison
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:43:00 +0000

Keith Doxey wrote:

> Why send IR to all components when you are only using one?

Keith,

I can imagine scenarios where I might want to do this. For example, if I
(as I hope to one day) have four speakers in _both_ my bedroom (where
all the sources live), and the sitting room, then I might want to do
something like:

- Tell the DVD player to play
- Tell the surround sound processor (upstairs) to switch to DVD input
- Tell the KAT5 switch to route the front-outputs of the processor to
one receiver, and the back pair to a second (thus allowing me to put
simply a power amp and a pair of speakers at each end of the sitting
room.)

While I was doing this, my wife might want to be listening to the radio,
so she might want to

- Tell the Tuner to switch to BBC Southern Counties
- Tell the surround sound processor to switch its TAPE LOOP to the tuner
- Tell the KAT5 switch to route the TAPE LOOP through to a KAT5 receiver
in her study

The easiest way to control this would obviously be to have a Pronto in
each room, running a CCF file intended to configure that room's systems,
which, in the scenario above might be easiest just to spray the RC5/6
codes to ALL the components upstairs, IYSWIM.

Brace yourself Keith - there's going to be a LOT of interest in KAT5 if
the switch does all you are intending it to (and those of us who've met
you are convinced that you've got what it takes to carry it off!)

Regards,

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher