RE: Linn Classik / KAT5

  • Subject: RE: Linn Classik / KAT5
  • From: BUTLER, Tony, FM
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:01:00 +0000

Hi Keith,

I can see you're getting a bit nervous about all this talk of hooking knekt
up to KAT :-)
Never fear - I would always have considered it 'at my own risk' if I
connect
these things
together - as I'm sure Nick does.
It's important to encourage entrepeneurs like yourself to continue with
these fledgling
businesses rather than scaring you away with threats of court action for my
own stupidity!
Now if you were a large established company and I blew up my system
konnecting it, then
that might be a different story :-)

Just quickly going through your points,

1. Possibly - but reverse engineering is not a crime - if you tried to rip
them off and
create an exact copy of the intersekt etc then they'd have every right
to be peeved.

2. Sure you do - just invent a time machine and go back in time to oh,
about 1000 BC and
you'll have loads of time to work on this stuff before anyone starts
asking you about
it :-)

3. Oh come now - if you could afford such systems, you would realise what a
rip-off they
are and have invented KAT5 anyway :-) Granted, owning one would help to
design an
interface..... Surely KAT5 must be making you a fortune by now anyway?
:]

4. You might be surprised!!!

I think you are being modest when you talk of offering 'some' of the
features of these
systems - once the IR and switcher are up & running, I think you
will be
providing _most_
of the functionality _plus_ video routing and switching, which neither Linn
nor QED's
Systemline do!

It's a real shame you have neither the time, inclination, or resources to
put into such
an interface - I think a KAT5 system with only the Linn or QED keypads
being
'foreign'
could be a very cost effective (relative to said Linn or QED systems!)
solution and one
which offers a very nice interface to the system.

Also I can appreciate that owning (or at least possessing) kit is the key
developing
interfaces to it - perhaps if there was some arrangement whereby customer
lends kit to
KAT5 genius for sought after (by more than just said customer) feature (eg
2
way IR with
Sony) then said customer receives 1st working unit free in return for loan
of kit!

I think you are right about the Sony 2-way using different carrier
frequencies - doh!

cheers,

Tony