Re: RGB over KAT5

  • Subject: Re: RGB over KAT5
  • From: tefxp
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:57:00 +0000

> I'm thinking of buying a RGB->VGA converter from
&amp; trying to get Keith to build me a
pair
> of KAT5 VGA units. This will allow me to connect to the plasma's
VGA
> input.

Doesn't the plasma have an RGB input?
Anyway, converting RGB->sVideo doesn't mean you can go svideo-VGA.
I would have thought if anything, RGB-VGA would be easier, though
you probably won't be able to do it easily because of differences in
the spec.

> Has anyone else got a similar set up ? Any problems or advice ?
My
> alternative is to send down component video but I hear RGB is
better.

In theory, AFAIK, component is better, but you porobably wouldn't
notice any difference in reality.
As you want to convert to SVideo though, you're going to lose signal
quality anyway and it can only be as good as SVideo, regardless of
what it started out life as......

> Another related question is whether anyone knows of a good RGB
SCART
> IR controlled switcher (2 or more in &amp; 1 out).

I thought the rgbtosvideo site did something like that too?
Maybe not IR controlled though. Autosensing should be enough....

> Yet another question (I'm on a bit of a roll here) is whether I
can
> send the line level subwoofer out from an AV receiver over KAT5
using
> an MCA set of units (or even the spare stereo connections of my S-
> VIDEO units). I can then connect up to an active subwoofer in the
> lounge. I believe I can but it wouldn't be the first time I've
> talked crap.

Keith is the best man to answer that (and indeed all your questions
really!) but as long as it's a 'standard' analogue signal, I don't
see why not.....

FWIW, my own video plans (not having a plasma screen - yet!) are to
run RGB KAT5 units from the DVD player (in node 0) to the TV, and
SVideo KAT 5 units to a KAT5 switch, so I can have the best quality
picture on the main TV and Svideo around the home......

HTH,

Tony