RE: Central power source for KAT5 units

  • Subject: RE: Central power source for KAT5 units
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:39:00 +0000

As Mark says, all pairs are already used.

I would caution against using a centralised power supply for one reason.
Using a common power supply would meant that all units would have a common
ground reference via the 0V rail. This could then lead to the possibility
of
a ground loop which is one of the main benefits of balanced distribution.

You wont do any harm by trying a central source provided it is the correct
rating and polarity. You would need to get a second patch cord, cut the end
off and fit a 2.1mm DC Power plug Centre Positive.

You will soon know if you get a ground loop as there will be an audible hum
and possible a band of lighter or darker picture moving up the screen. If
that happens you will need to use a local power supply.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv