RE: Linn Classik / KAT5

  • Subject: RE: Linn Classik / KAT5
  • From: Nick Towers
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:12:00 +0000

Hello Keith et al,

Thanks for reply. Yes, one of the aims is to build a multiroom set up at a
cost far less than Linn Knekt, but hopefully approaching the quality. When
we renovated the house, apart from the CAT5 (between 4 & 8 to each
room) and
coax, we also ran speaker cable between the rooms downstairs and to the
outside patio, so we could switch/route the hifi output to where we wanted
it (albeit manually). Then I came across multi room audio and particularly
liked the look (and sound) of Linn, but at
c£3000 for the first room, plus £1500 for each secondary room, a full
installation really wasn't justifiable. However we did listen to the Linn
Classik and reckoned that was worth the investment (£760) particularly as
we
could manually switch the output to various rooms via a speaker switch. The
fact that it effectively has four 2-channel audio KAT5 TX's built into it
obviously helped my decision.

When I first stumbled across KAT5 6 months or so ago it seemed to be a way
of replicating Linn's inter-room transmission, and provide a means of
linking the (planned) CD jukebox directly or via the Linn to the kids
playroom (where they have their own hifi) and also to our bedroom, also TV
sound back to the kitchen/breakfast room where we choose not to have a TV.
And I haven't even started thinking about DVD's, etc etc.

The control of the sources is the issue I'm researching now. I did note
that
you've got a prototype KAT5 with composite video, 2 audio & IR -
I've also
seen that Ian Bird (via ukha_d) is working on an IR repeater. There's also
few circuits I've come across on the net. Any recommendations? Could a KAT5
2-channel audio module be configured with 1 or preferably 2 IR repeater
channels (the Sony 400 disc CD jukebox I'd like to buy has 2 way IR
control)? I do want to use cabling not radio.

Any help from anyone particularly on the IR control side much appreciated.

Thanks

Nick