TV audio onto HiFi via Kat5?

  • Subject: TV audio onto HiFi via Kat5?
  • From: nickt@xxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 11:20:00 +0000

Hi all,

Have spent some time connecting various devices together using the
Kat5 TX/RX modules.
In general all works very well when connecting Video/Tv devices to
each other, or audio to audio. However I've not figured out yet how
to get TV sound onto my HiFi via Kat5. There seems to be no signal at
all coming through from the RX unit, although when I put it into a TV
it's fine. I'm using a Scart-phono lead converter at the RX end. Any
ideas anyone?
Also, just for the record, I (rather unfairly) connected a turntable
with phono output of say 2.5mV over the Kat5 and still got a
recognisable, even if rather distorted output. (But with a signal
level 100 times less, I think thats to be expected)
And lastly, I've decided to blow £800 on a Linn
Classik "Connectable", a CD player/tuner/amplifier which comes
with
balanced line inputs and outputs built in. If anybody's got any
experience of interfacing one of these, or Knekt, or similar, to
Kat5, let me know, I'll be posting my own experiences on this group
in case anyone's interested.
All the best
Nick
PS Quick question for Keith or anyone else who may know!: Linn does
not seem to use standard CAT5 (T568B) pinouts where twisted pairs are
pins 1&2, 3&6, 4&5, and 7&8 - they seem to
use 2 twisted pairs on
pins 2&3 and 6&7 for the stereo balanced line signals, the
other
wires for control etc (I assume Linn transmits the balanced line
signals on twisted pairs?!!). Does KAT5 use T568B pinouts? Am just
concerned that I may need to crimp up a number of nonstandard patch
leads.