Newbie to KAT5

  • Subject: Newbie to KAT5
  • From: neil.frost@xxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:22:00 +0000

Hi all, I'm very new to the HA scene (hope i get the acronyms
right!!).
My story is this: Shortly moving to a house that needs complete
rewire (still has rubber insulated cables and bakelite switches &
Sockets). The wife has given the OK to flood wire with CAT5 (I'm a
PC/Network engineer so know enough about that) so I started looking
at HA, found www.automatedhome.co.uk and spent a good couple of hours
looking round and found KAT5 which seems to be pretty cool.

I've just spent the last hour catching up on all the postings on this
forum (good job I'm not too busy!!) and have come to the conclusion,
I think, that this fabled KAT5 switcher is the way I need to go.

I'll have my node zero in the airing cupboard, where the hot water
tank used to be, with all the wall sockets around the house (c.96
when I'm done) terminating onto a patch panel. A 16 Port telephone
distribution, Win2K server etc then the AV distribution.......

I want to be able to have my SKY box, DVD player; VHS etc. in that
cupboard and be able to switch between them remotely in each room
(obviously I could only watch the same e.g. SKY channel in 2 or more
rooms) Will the switcher be able to do this? I assume I'd need a
receiver connected to each TV?

Would it let me watch SKY in the living room, a DVD in the bedroom
and a video in the study all at the same time?

I'm also running CAT5 to the top corners of each room for speakers
and have an amp or 2 at node zero as well, could the audio be patched
to these as well as router to the TV's?

I think that's enough for now and look forward to hearing from
someone.....please...

Neil Frost