KAT5 RGB distribution

  • Subject: KAT5 RGB distribution
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 18:10:00 +0000

Since I got a new equipment rack a few weeks ago, sitting
inbetween the TV stand and one of the main speakers, its
dimensions are such that it has forced the speaker closer to the
walls than I'd ideally like. Plus it's a little distracting having all
these lights on in front of you.

So today I was thinking about how I could move all the equipment
elsewhere in the room. A few longer speaker cable runs and the
speakers are sorted.

But the main problem would be the 1m SCARTs I use to connect
the ONdodgy/VCR/DVD player to the TV. I would almost certainly
need 5m at the shortest possible distance, probably more. I start
to get worried about image quality at these distances, as I'd expect
a softer picture as the length increases past 5m or so. Not sure, as
I haven't ever tried this.

This set me thinking about KAT5 (I'm eagerly looking forward to
news on the Switcher project in 2002, 'when it's done', BTW;
Yours, a definite customer!). I could put a Tx module at the
sources/amp which could be at the back of the room, and an Rx
module behind the TV, and then just some CAT5 around the room
along with the speaker cable.

But currently only S-video, not RGB, which I understand to be
superior???

Has anybody directly compared some direct output from a DVD
player to a DVD by quality SCART using RGB vs KAT5/S-video? I
wouldn't have any issues with image quality around the rest of the
house, just in the Home Cinema room.

Stuart

--
Stuart Booth
Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

<a
href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=rkSuxri3e3KVAzdm-FfWJW-U8tc1QbDPqoK8AnhdEhFxZfTO3Os37XAIfaH8WCpmp5sJD5KPpKMeqkeKlyPDsw">stuart@s...</a>
ICQ#: 4515603